Since launching the preserved lemon chutney we have been encountering the same question over and over again.
" This tastes great!! But what do I do with it???"
I thought I would take the time and tell you a few of the ways we have used our preserved lemon chutney over the years (yes we have really been making it for years it is an old family recipe that goes back several generations) and ways we are looking to use it in the future.
The answer to this question is, is it is incredibly versatile and can be used in both sweet and savoury dishes.
- use it instead of Mango Chutney when you get your popadoms
- put it on your cheese/ ham sandwiches instead of other pickles
- in toasties
- mix with couscous or rice and have it as a side dish
- put it on vanilla ice cream (sounds odd but it really works)
More complex uses:-
- use it as a glaze for salmon or other oily fish
- use it in tagines instead of prunes/dates and preserved lemons
- make a cheesecake using it
Ways that others are using it:-
- we have a friend 5D chocolates that makes a chocolate using it
- we have someone who is looking to make a chewy caramel sweet with it
- we are looking to make a gin and/or vodka using it
- we are looking to brew a beer using it
- we are looking to make a soft drink using it.